In an age of botox, fillers and cosmetic surgery, there is a huge amount of pressure on women to have amazing skin at all times. Endless amounts of filters on Instagram can help us look great when taking photos for online use, but what steps can we take as part of our daily skin routine to help us look great face-to-face?
I think a consistent skin routine carried out twice a day can make a huge difference to how your skin looks and feels. If carried out correctly it can also reduce signs of ageing. Here are 5 ways to treat your skin on a daily basis:
- Exfoliate: There are 7 layers to your skin so for your moisturiser to work effectively, the dead cells on the upper 6 layers need to be removed. I do this on average 2-3 times a week. This is great if you use fake tan as it makes it easier to add it evenly onto your skin.
- Cleanse: Doing this twice a day washes away any impurities on the skin (dirt, make up), smoothes and renews it. A good cleanser should contain the essential oils needed to hydrate your skin.
- Tone: This can help restore the skin’s natural pH balance and improve firmness / tone whilst attracting moisture. It’s best to avoid alcohol-based toners as they will strip away natural oils on the surface of your skin and leave it feeling dry and irritated.
- Treatment / Serum: This is the part of the process for women who use anti-ageing products. Using a good serum can help diminish wrinkles and fine lines.
- Moisturise: I use 2 moisturisers- one for during the day to protect my skin from the sun /natural skin damage and one for the night to restore my skin whilst I sleep.
These are 5 very basic rules of skincare and can be used with other products i.e. acne creams. I personally follow this routine on a daily basis and find that it really helps me keep my skin under control. It also prepares it well for make up.