Over the past 11 days there’s been a lot of talk about resolutions – goals for 2016, the ‘New Year new me’ mantra we hear every year and diet / fitness images all over my social feeds.
I have great admiration for anyone who sets themselves resolutions at the beginning of the year and achieves all of them. It’s hard work and a difficult task which is why so many people (including me at times) fail.
I’m proud to say that I’ve actually managed to achieve all my ambitions over the past few years and I think that’s because I stopped thinking of them resolutions.
In my opinion, the word ‘resolution’ in itself doesn’t really inspire positivity, confidence or actual resolution! I prefer to spend January reflecting on the previous year whilst planning a bucket list for the year ahead. I set goals and think about how to achieve them. If I didn’t then I know from previous experience that I’ll give up on them by the end of the month.
So this year I thought I’d add a little extra pressure to myself by making my 2016 bucket list public. This is what I’m aiming to do this year:
- Grow my businesses: My main aim for this year is to take my two businesses onto the next level. I have a proper plan and goals in place to help me achieve this.
- Make Balancing in Heels a popular blog: If you’re a regular reader you’ll know that this blog is very much in its infancy. I only set it up at the end of October and am gradually building content and the number of readers. I’m creating a schedule to keep content as interesting as possible for you all.
- Increase fitness: The standard New Year goal I know but I started this last November so I can hopefully get away with it. I want to build up my fitness level. I have bootcamp sessions that I attend locally and I’ve registered to do the North Tyneside 10K and will hopefully run this year’s Blaydon Race. My running suffered a lot after I did the Great North Run in 2014 and I want to get back into it this year as I do actually enjoy it.
- Be consistent in everything I do: Because I lead such a busy life I have a tendency to dip in and out of things. I like to see things through to the end (which is something I usually do) but this year I want to get better at it!
- Read everyday: I LOVE reading – online, on my kindle or a paperback. I don’t care what it is but I’ve decided I’m going to read at least 10 pages a day of a book or online articles.
- Make more time for family and friends: This year I need to have a better work / life balance so more quality time with family and friends is needed.
There it is. I’ve got 6 things on my bucket list for 2016. Let’s see if I can stick to them. I’ll post a blog halfway through the year so you can find out how I’m getting on.
Good luck to you all in creating your bucket list and Happy New Year.